A personal injury attorney can help if you have been hurt or a loved one has been killed. South Carolina law states that any individual, company or government entity that causes injury can be held legally liable for the resulting damages. There are specific requirements that must be met to make a personal injury claim, and an attorney can help with your case.
We provide free consultations to victims injured in an accident or as a result of careless or wrongful behavior. Our attorneys can help you determine if you have a personal injury or wrongful death claim. If you have a case, a lawyer can fight for your right to compensation for medical bills, lost income, pain and suffering, emotional distress or the loss of a family member.
Proving Your Case
To be entitled to compensation for injuries, you must show:
- That someone owed a duty of care to you: For example, a doctor must provide professional quality healthcare services and a driver has to obey the rules and be careful while driving.
- That the defendant failed to live up to this duty: You have to prove that a reasonable person wouldn’t have made the same mistakes, or that the defendant failed to live up to his legal obligations to keep you safe.
- That you were harmed as a direct result of the failure: You must prove you suffered actual losses because of the actions of the defendant.
A personal injury attorney will assist you with understanding your legal obligations, filing your claim, gathering evidence and making a strong case. If the defendant accepts blame for your injuries, then it may also be possible to negotiate an out-of-court settlement. Your attorney will bring unrelenting negotiation skills to the table to make sure the settlement covers your losses.
Types of Cases Handled
We represent clients in a variety of personal injury and accident cases, including but not limited to:
- Car accident claims
- Truck accidents
- Pedestrian crashes
- Motorcyclist accidents
- Pedestrian collisions
- Accidents resulting from dangerous road conditions
- Accidents caused by negligent vehicle design
- Injuries caused by defective products
- Birth injury claims
- Medical malpractice cases
- Injuries caused by dog bites
- Nursing home abuse and negligence claims
- Wrongful death cases
We have decades of collective experience handling these and other types of injury claims and we will do everything possible to help you get the money you need.
In South Carolina, you have a limited period of time to take legal action after you have been hurt. Under S.C. Code Ann. § 15-3-510, the general rule is that you have three years to file a personal injury claim. Your attorney will ensure you file your case within the time limit allowed and will work to ensure you comply with all requirements to protect your right to compensation. Your lawyer will also interview witnesses, obtain accident records, find experts to testify for you, and otherwise do whatever it takes to build a strong damage claim.
To learn more about how we can help with your case in Moncks Corner, give us a call or contact us online to request a free, no-obligation consultation.