Greenville Water or Chemical Spills Lawyer

Water or chemical spills could increase the risk of injury to workers, especially for dangerous slip and fall accidents and potential exposure to toxic materials.

If you were hurt in a water or chemical spills accident, do not delay contacting a Greenville water or chemical spills lawyer who could assist with your case. A warehouse injury lawyer could determine who may be legally responsible for your injuries and recover financial losses to compensate for the suffering you have endured.

Common Injuries Stemming from Water or Chemical Spills

Chemical spill injuries occur when toxic materials are released in a workplace or industrial accident. Chemicals with combustible and corrosive properties could lead to significant internal and external injuries. Examples of hazardous chemicals which could cause serious injuries in the event of exposure include:

  • Bleach
  • Lead
  • Gasoline
  • Ammonia
  • Chlorine

Common chemical spill injuries include those to the skin, throat, and lungs. If a worker slips and falls due to a chemical or water spill, they could also suffer from injuries such as:

  • Bruising
  • Neck
  • Back
  • Shoulder
  • Broken or fractured bones
  • Head trauma

As a result, individuals injured in workplace spills may incur considerable medical expenses generated by hospitalization, emergency care, surgery, follow-up care, and other necessary treatment.

Filing a Claim for Worker’s Compensation

South Carolina Code Annotated §42-15-20(B) requires individuals who suffer workplace injuries to provide notice of injury to their employer within 90 day of the incident. Furthermore, the law allows individuals up to two years to file a claim for benefits with the state worker’s compensation commission.

Worker’s compensation may cover financial losses including medical bills and lost income. To receive benefits for lost wages, a worker must be unable to return to work for at least seven days after the accident.

Lost income benefits would be calculated at a rate of 66 2/3 percent of the state’s average weekly income, subject to a cap totaling 100 percent of their average weekly earnings. A Greenville water or chemical spills attorney could help an injured worker seek the maximum benefits they are entitled to receive.

Permanent Partial Disability vs. Permanent Total Disability Benefits

Permanent partial or total disability benefits may also be available in certain circumstances. To be eligible for permanent partial disability benefits, the worker must have suffered a partial disability (such as the loss of use of an extremity). If the worker qualifies, they would receive additional compensation totaling two-thirds of their average weekly income.

Examples of a permanent total disability include losing both arms or legs. Under these circumstances, a worker could qualify for full temporary benefits for up to 500 weeks. Individuals who are paralyzed or rendered quadriplegics after their accident could receive benefits for life.

Third-Party Lawsuits after a Water or Chemical Spill

If a water or chemical spill is caused by a third-party, such as a transportation or packaging company that does not properly secure a storage unit, a Greenville lawyer could help the injured worker take legal action against the negligent individual or entity.

S.C. Code Ann §15-3-530 sets a three-year time limit from the date of injury to file a personal injury claim seeking monetary damages to cover pain, suffering, medical bills, lost wages, and other losses. It is paramount to understand and follow this three-year statutory rule, as the court could dismiss the injured party’s case if they fail to file a claim by the designated deadline.

Get Help from a Greenville Water or Chemical Spills Attorney

Spills endanger the work environment, and if they are caused by negligence, legal action may encourage employers and third parties to be more cautious in the future. If you have already been injured in a water or chemical spill, you could be eligible to receive compensation for your suffered losses.

You do not have to deal with the effects of an injury on your own. Get help from a Greenville water or chemical spills lawyer by calling to schedule your no-obligation consultation.





Free Consultation

(843) 884-6615

The contents of this Web site are for informational purposes regarding legal issues in South Carolina and are not intended to convey detailed legal advice on specific issues. Transmission of the information contained in this site or any sites linked hereto is not intended to create, and receipt does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Our attorneys practice law only in jurisdictions we are properly authorized to do so and do not seek to represent anyone in any jurisdiction where this site does not comply with applicable laws and bar rules. The lawyers of the law firm of Christmas Injury Lawyers are licensed to practice law in the State of South Carolina. Readers should not act upon the information contained in this site without first seeking the advice of an attorney licensed to practice in your area.

Attorneys principally practice in Mt. Pleasant office, but we will meet you at the time and office most convenient to you. We will also come to your hospital room or home upon request.

The information given above are examples of actual cases with actual clients our law firm has handled in the past. The reviews listed on our website are endorsements and/or testimonials from actual clients. Any results our law firm may achieve on behalf of one client in one matter does not necessarily indicate similar results can be obtained for other clients.

In an effort to continue serving the community while keeping everyone healthy and safe, our office is offering phone and video consultations. To schedule or learn more call (843) 884-6615 or fill out a contact form here.