Columbia Water or Chemical Spills Lawyer

Water and chemical spills could cause lots of damage and injury to those around them. Warehouse workers may experience mishaps, breaking products or machinery, and dangerous spills from time to time.

If you suffered a work-related injury from a water or chemical spill, you might be entitled to workers’ compensation. In some cases, filing a lawsuit to recover damages may be appropriate. It could be difficult to ascertain your rights to recovery without the proper legal guidance. A local personal injury attorney could provide you with guidance and support on your way to recovery. A Columbia water or chemical spills lawyer could lessen the load and help you fight for your right to recovery.

Filing a Lawsuit

South Carolina operates as a no-fault insurance state. Under no-fault, employees are not required to prove that the employer was negligent to receive benefits. In exchange for receiving no-fault benefits, employees waive their right to sue their employer in court.

Generally, there are two instances in which an injured employee may bring a personal injury lawsuit. Workplace injuries that result from a third party’s actions are not covered under workers’ compensation. Injuries caused by product manufacturers, independent contractors, and other workers that are not employed by the same company are not covered by workers’ compensation, and therefore they may be sued. For example, if a chemical or water spill accident in Columbia resulted from a third party, an injured warehouse worker could file a personal injury lawsuit against them to recover damages.

Under the second instance, an employee may sue their employer for intentional acts that cause a workplace injury. Intentional acts, also known as intentional torts, might include assault, battery, invasion of privacy, or intentional infliction of emotional distress.

Filing for Workers’ Compensation in Columbia

Warehouse workers injured from water or chemical spills in Columbia should report their injury to their employer as soon as practicable. Injuries should be reported within 90 days, and if not, the right to receive benefits could be lost. South Carolina Code §42-15-4 requires that employees file their claim for workers’ compensation within two years of the sustained injury to the South Carolina Workers’ Compensation Commission. Employees may file their claim through their employer or themselves using Form 50.

If the claim is denied, employees may file an appeal by submitting a hearing request to the Commission. The hearing is conducted by one Commissioner in the county in which the workplace injury was suffered. The Commissioner would decide the hearing by issuing an order. If denied again, employees could appeal again and get a panel of three Commissioners to hear the claim.

Awards may be appealed by filing a lawsuit in the South Carolina Court of Appeals. Plaintiffs have 30 days from the date the award was issued to file the case, and they must explain what the grounds are for appeal. If the Court of Appeals denies the claim, a worker’s last resort would be to appeal to the South Carolina Supreme Court.

How a Columbia Water or Chemical Spills Attorney Could Help

A Columbia water or chemical spills attorney could help you fight for your rights. It could be challenging for anyone to seek the recovery they are entitled to while they are healing from their injuries and staying on top of financial burdens and other personal obstacles. Reach out to a local personal injury attorney and learn whether you may be eligible for recovery and what paths you could take to get there. Call now, find out what options you might have for recovery today.




Free Consultation

(843) 884-6615

The contents of this Web site are for informational purposes regarding legal issues in South Carolina and are not intended to convey detailed legal advice on specific issues. Transmission of the information contained in this site or any sites linked hereto is not intended to create, and receipt does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Our attorneys practice law only in jurisdictions we are properly authorized to do so and do not seek to represent anyone in any jurisdiction where this site does not comply with applicable laws and bar rules. The lawyers of the law firm of Christmas Injury Lawyers are licensed to practice law in the State of South Carolina. Readers should not act upon the information contained in this site without first seeking the advice of an attorney licensed to practice in your area.

Attorneys principally practice in Mt. Pleasant office, but we will meet you at the time and office most convenient to you. We will also come to your hospital room or home upon request.

The information given above are examples of actual cases with actual clients our law firm has handled in the past. The reviews listed on our website are endorsements and/or testimonials from actual clients. Any results our law firm may achieve on behalf of one client in one matter does not necessarily indicate similar results can be obtained for other clients.

In an effort to continue serving the community while keeping everyone healthy and safe, our office is offering phone and video consultations. To schedule or learn more call (843) 884-6615 or fill out a contact form here.