Changes in Condition After a Charleston Workers’ Compensation Agreement

While workers’ compensation is designed to provide injured workers with a means of recovering compensation for their workplace injuries, the workers’ compensation system may not account for certain factors.

It can be hard to know the extent of an injury when a worker files a compensation claim and they begin receiving set payments. An injury or condition may change or develop over time even after a worker has already received workers’ compensation payments.

If you experienced changes in condition after a Charleston workers’ compensation agreement and need your benefits altered, you may need to contact a skilled workers’ compensation attorney to discuss your options. Even after reaching an agreement in a Charleston workers’ compensation claim, a knowledgeable defense attorney could reopen your case and negotiate an outcome that fairly compensates your change in condition.

Reaching an Agreement in a Workers’ Compensation Claim

After an injured worker reaches their maximum medical improvement, meaning the worker is as close to the condition they were in before the accident as possible, they may agree to settle a workers’ compensation claim.

This is done by signing either Form 16 or Form 16A, or by signing an Agreement and Final Release. These agreements relieve an employer and their insurance companies from having to make future payments for an injury unless they choose.

However, it is important to note that under § 67-801(E), an injured worker who signs the Agreement and Final Release may not be entitled to seek additional compensation for their injury if their condition worsens, unless the agreement specifically provides the worker the right.

Requirements for Adjusting a Claim

South Carolina Code § 42-17-90 states that either an injured worker or even the Workers’ Compensation Commission may review a workers’ compensation award. If there is sufficient evidence to show a worker’s injury or condition has changed, the commission may end, diminish, or increase the compensation previously awarded.

Generally, a workers’ compensation claim can be reopened within the first 12 months after payment is issued to a worker. However, this is often subject to whether an agreement has been reached.

Procedures to Follow after a Change in Condition

South Carolina Regulation 67-602(c) outlines the requirements for filing for additional workers’ compensation. Under the law, the worker making the claim for changes in condition after a Charleston Workers’ compensation agreement must attach a medical report indicating a change in their condition to a hearing request form. They may present additional expert reports at the hearing.

The claimant may also request an informal conference to determine if they may receive a medical evaluation at the expense of the employer’s representative by writing the Commission’s Judicial Department.

How an Attorney Could Help Modify Charleston Workers’ Compensation Benefits

If you experienced changes in condition after a Charleston workers’ compensation agreement, contact a workers’ compensation attorney today. A dedicated workers’ compensation lawyer could guide you through the process of reopening your claim, help you pursue benefits that fairly compensates your injury, and help ensure your rights as a worker are protected.


Free Consultation

(843) 884-6615

The contents of this Web site are for informational purposes regarding legal issues in South Carolina and are not intended to convey detailed legal advice on specific issues. Transmission of the information contained in this site or any sites linked hereto is not intended to create, and receipt does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Our attorneys practice law only in jurisdictions we are properly authorized to do so and do not seek to represent anyone in any jurisdiction where this site does not comply with applicable laws and bar rules. The lawyers of the law firm of Christmas Injury Lawyers are licensed to practice law in the State of South Carolina. Readers should not act upon the information contained in this site without first seeking the advice of an attorney licensed to practice in your area.

Attorneys principally practice in Mt. Pleasant office, but we will meet you at the time and office most convenient to you. We will also come to your hospital room or home upon request.

The information given above are examples of actual cases with actual clients our law firm has handled in the past. The reviews listed on our website are endorsements and/or testimonials from actual clients. Any results our law firm may achieve on behalf of one client in one matter does not necessarily indicate similar results can be obtained for other clients.

In an effort to continue serving the community while keeping everyone healthy and safe, our office is offering phone and video consultations. To schedule or learn more call (843) 884-6615 or fill out a contact form here.