Steps Following a Charleston Longshore and Harbor Accident

While being injured on the job can be a stressful situation, know that a dependable Charleston workplace accident attorney can help guide you through the steps following a longshore and harbor accident while acting as an aggressive advocate for your compensation. Read on to learn more about the steps following a longshore and harbor accident, as well as the ways a professional Charleston longshore and harbor accident attorney can make a difference in your case.

What to Do Directly After a Workplace Accident

The most important thing to do after being injured on the job is to report the injury right away, even if the worker thinks that the injury is minor or that it will go away. The best policy is to report that injury regardless, because if it does not go away then the injured worker has met the notice requirement under the Longshore and Harbor Workers’ Compensation Act by going to their supervisor to make sure that they have gone on record to state that they had the injury and it was caused by the work accident. If they need medical treatment, they should also request it at that time.

How Injured Workers Can Protect Themselves From Employers

In a Longshore and Harbor Workers’ Compensation Act case, the way the employees can take care of themselves and protect themselves from being taken advantage of by their employers is to learn their rights by contacting an experienced Longshore and Harbor Workers’ Compensation attorney who can educate the injured worker on what their rights, duties, and responsibilities are under the act. They can also help by assisting the injured worker in receiving the appropriate medical treatment with the right type of experts and specialists for their injury. A skilled Longshore and Harbor Workers’ Compensation lawyer can also make efforts to get the proper amount of weekly compensation payments for the injured worker if they are taken out of work due to the injuries.

Options for Employees Unable to Return to Work

When someone gets injured under the Longshore and Harbor Workers’ Compensation Act, the situation is completely different from any other. If an injured worker is completely not able to return to any job, they would want to seek permanent total disability benefits under the act and get those benefits covered over their lifetime. If the employee is not able to return to their current job but they are able to go work somewhere else at a lower wage, their situation would be considered a partial wage loss case. For partial wage loss cases, the injured worker would want to seek benefits for two-thirds of the difference between their pre-accident wages and their post-accident wages for their lifetime. If an individual is able to return to work at their same job for their previous wage, then they would look for some type of recovery for the injury from a scheduled number statute that would pay out based upon a percentage of impairment to their body.

How to File a Workers’ Compensation Claim

Under the Federal Longshore and Harbor Workers’ Compensation Act, the injured worker would want to report the accident right away and give notice within 30 days of the accident. It is easier to connect the injuries in the event when recollections are fresh and when the medical professionals have a direct link to the injury. After seeing a doctor, the individual should file with the department of labor to protect their claim to all the statute of limitations and to seek any and all damages recoverable under the Federal Longshore and Harbor Workers’ Compensation Act, whether they be medical or monetary benefits. This claim can be filed with the help of an experienced Federal Longshore and Harbor Workers’ Compensation attorney to ensure that all paperwork is filled out correctly at the right times.

If you have been injured in a workplace accident, reach out to a compassionate Charleston longshore and harbor workers’ compensation lawyer today to learn about the proper steps following a longshore and harbor accident.


Free Consultation

(843) 884-6615

The contents of this Web site are for informational purposes regarding legal issues in South Carolina and are not intended to convey detailed legal advice on specific issues. Transmission of the information contained in this site or any sites linked hereto is not intended to create, and receipt does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Our attorneys practice law only in jurisdictions we are properly authorized to do so and do not seek to represent anyone in any jurisdiction where this site does not comply with applicable laws and bar rules. The lawyers of the law firm of Christmas Injury Lawyers are licensed to practice law in the State of South Carolina. Readers should not act upon the information contained in this site without first seeking the advice of an attorney licensed to practice in your area.

Attorneys principally practice in Mt. Pleasant office, but we will meet you at the time and office most convenient to you. We will also come to your hospital room or home upon request.

The information given above are examples of actual cases with actual clients our law firm has handled in the past. The reviews listed on our website are endorsements and/or testimonials from actual clients. Any results our law firm may achieve on behalf of one client in one matter does not necessarily indicate similar results can be obtained for other clients.

In an effort to continue serving the community while keeping everyone healthy and safe, our office is offering phone and video consultations. To schedule or learn more call (843) 884-6615 or fill out a contact form here.