Our Blog

Woman With Diabetes Sues Hospital Over Negligent Treatment

Woman With Diabetes Sues Hospital Over Negligent Treatment

A Brooklyn, New York woman has filed a lawsuit against Coney Island Hospital, claiming that hospital staff botched a routine injection to help treat her diabetes. Allegedly, back in April 2008 the 55-year-old woman went to the hospital for treatment, the staff hooked her up to intravenous solutions, but missed her veins in both arms, allowing potassium chloride to rot and eat away the skin around her elbow and underlying tissue. In general, any IV solution that leaks out of the vein can cause irritation or bruising, but the serious injuries and damage done in this incident represent an extremely unusual occurrence.

Since the negligent incident, she has hired an experienced medical malpractice attorney to assist her in claiming the damages she, and her legal representative, feel she is entitled.

The city has offered a settlement, but it is not an amount that seems satisfactory to the woman’s lawyer who claims she suffered damages “in the millions.” Despite this claim the city is not willing to budge on the unspecified amount offered. The case was heard in Brooklyn Supreme Court in November as part of the court’s effort to mediate, this and other, medical malpractice cases. It was at this hearing that the woman’s attorney rejected the paltry amount offered by the city. It was reported the injured woman felt insulted by the figure.

The woman, who is a home health aide, still bears the scars from medical mishap and continues to live in pain from the incident. She has limited motion in one of her arms, even after the four-inch round wounds have healed. She continues to work every day, but does so in debilitating pain. The results of the alleged medical negligence have been devastating for the woman and with the help of her lawyer she is going to continue to fight for the damages they feel she deserves. A formal trial is set for the beginning of February.

If you suspect you are a victim of medical malpractice by a South Carolina doctor or hospital, you may be entitled to compensation. In South Carolina, medical malpractice laws currently have strict standards to prove these types of cases. Each medical specialty has its own standard of care that physicians practicing in that specialty must meet. At Christmas Injury Lawyers in Charleston, South Carolina, our personal injury attorneys can analyze your claim and determine whether your medical malpractice case is valid.

The contents of this Web site are for informational purposes regarding legal issues in South Carolina and are not intended to convey detailed legal advice on specific issues. Transmission of the information contained in this site or any sites linked hereto is not intended to create, and receipt does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Our attorneys practice law only in jurisdictions we are properly authorized to do so and do not seek to represent anyone in any jurisdiction where this site does not comply with applicable laws and bar rules. The lawyers of the law firm of Christmas Injury Lawyers are licensed to practice law in the State of South Carolina. Readers should not act upon the information contained in this site without first seeking the advice of an attorney licensed to practice in your area.

Attorneys principally practice in Mt. Pleasant office, but we will meet you at the time and office most convenient to you. We will also come to your hospital room or home upon request.

The information given above are examples of actual cases with actual clients our law firm has handled in the past. The reviews listed on our website are endorsements and/or testimonials from actual clients. Any results our law firm may achieve on behalf of one client in one matter does not necessarily indicate similar results can be obtained for other clients.

In an effort to continue serving the community while keeping everyone healthy and safe, our office is offering phone and video consultations. To schedule or learn more call (843) 884-6615 or fill out a contact form here.