Our Blog

What To Do If You Think You Have A Medical Malpractice Case

What To Do If You Think You Have A Medical Malpractice Case

If you believe that you have been harmed by a medical professional, be it a doctor, nurse, pharmacist or other provider, you may be wondering if you are able to file a medical malpractice lawsuit. In every state in the nation, you have the ability to file suit for compensation for the costs associated with your injury. There are some basic steps involved in filing a medical malpractice case. Read on to discover what to do if you think you have a case.

1. Contact the Medical Professional

The first thing you want to do is to contact the medical professional before you file a lawsuit. You want to understand what could have gone wrong. You also want to see if your doctor can remedy your injury or if they are willing to fix their error without charging you for their services.

2. Get In Touch with the State Medical Board

Before you file a lawsuit, you may be able to get the state medical board to force the doctor to compensate you. These are also the people who can discipline medical professionals and make that discipline a part of public record. At this point, you will want to contact a medical malpractice attorney.

3. Know the Statute of Limitations

It is important to know the statute of limitations in your state. In South Carolina, you must bring suit three years from either the date the injury occurred or the date it was discovered. These time frames may vary depending on what type of injury you suffered and how old you were at the time of the injury.

4. Visit Another Doctor

You will want to get a medical assessment to determine the extend of your injury. This information will be used as evidence in your case should you decide to move forward. You may be required to file a certificate of merit after your visit. Your attorney will assist you with this.

5. File Your Suit

Once your attorney has determined that you have all of the information necessary, they will help you file your lawsuit in the appropriate court. If you need more information or evidence, your attorney will advise you of such and tell you the steps to take.

If you believe that you have a medical malpractice case in Charleston, call our office. We will review the details of your injury at no cost to you and advise you how to proceed. Call now for assistance or browse our website for more information about our firm.

Photo Credit

The contents of this Web site are for informational purposes regarding legal issues in South Carolina and are not intended to convey detailed legal advice on specific issues. Transmission of the information contained in this site or any sites linked hereto is not intended to create, and receipt does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Our attorneys practice law only in jurisdictions we are properly authorized to do so and do not seek to represent anyone in any jurisdiction where this site does not comply with applicable laws and bar rules. The lawyers of the law firm of Christmas Injury Lawyers are licensed to practice law in the State of South Carolina. Readers should not act upon the information contained in this site without first seeking the advice of an attorney licensed to practice in your area.

Attorneys principally practice in Mt. Pleasant office, but we will meet you at the time and office most convenient to you. We will also come to your hospital room or home upon request.

The information given above are examples of actual cases with actual clients our law firm has handled in the past. The reviews listed on our website are endorsements and/or testimonials from actual clients. Any results our law firm may achieve on behalf of one client in one matter does not necessarily indicate similar results can be obtained for other clients.

In an effort to continue serving the community while keeping everyone healthy and safe, our office is offering phone and video consultations. To schedule or learn more call (843) 884-6615 or fill out a contact form here.