Our Blog

What Happens If You Say No To Workers Comp

What Happens If You Say No To Workers Comp

Congratulations! Your small business has finally taken off and you are ready to hire your first employee. Knowing that your business has grown to the point that you cannot handle everything on your own is exciting. Hiring employees is a thrill. Until the light of day hits and you realize the amount of responsibility you have taken on. The more prepared you are, the easier the transition from sole proprietor to employer will be.

One of the biggest topics that new employers ask about is workers’ compensation. For many, the cost of premiums is daunting. You are about to go from putting all of your money back into your business to shelling out money for insurance. Consider for a moment, though, that paying for workers’ compensation is protecting your business as much as it is protecting your employees. But how?

1. It’s the Law

You are legally required to carry workers’ compensation insurance for your employees. Many states put a minimum on the number of workers you must have before you are obligated to purchase insurance. In some states, the number of employees required is one.

If you say ‘no’ to workers’ compensation insurance, you may be in violation of the law.

2. Cost

The cost of workers’ compensation premiums can vary, but it averages about $2 for every $100 of payroll. Is your employee going to get injured? Maybe not. And the money you pay for premiums will disappear. That said, if your employee is injured, the amount you pay for premiums will pale in comparison to the amount that you will be paying out of your own pocket to cover that employee’s medical expenses.

3. Lawsuit

If your employee is injured at work and you do not have insurance, you can expect a lawsuit. You will end up paying not only medical bills, but you may end up covering someone else’s legal costs as well. Tens of thousands of dollars is nothing to be flippant about. Few people just starting out in business can afford this kind of hit to their finances.

Saying ‘no’ to workers’ compensation insurance is rarely, if ever, a good idea. If it is the law in your state, you will have to purchase it. If you have questions as to what type of coverage you need, your insurance agent or business attorney can assist you.

If you need help filing workers’ comp in South Carolina, please give us a call. A member of our team will review the details of your case at no cost to you and provide you with options. Call now.

Photo Credit

The contents of this Web site are for informational purposes regarding legal issues in South Carolina and are not intended to convey detailed legal advice on specific issues. Transmission of the information contained in this site or any sites linked hereto is not intended to create, and receipt does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Our attorneys practice law only in jurisdictions we are properly authorized to do so and do not seek to represent anyone in any jurisdiction where this site does not comply with applicable laws and bar rules. The lawyers of the law firm of Christmas Injury Lawyers are licensed to practice law in the State of South Carolina. Readers should not act upon the information contained in this site without first seeking the advice of an attorney licensed to practice in your area.

Attorneys principally practice in Mt. Pleasant office, but we will meet you at the time and office most convenient to you. We will also come to your hospital room or home upon request.

The information given above are examples of actual cases with actual clients our law firm has handled in the past. The reviews listed on our website are endorsements and/or testimonials from actual clients. Any results our law firm may achieve on behalf of one client in one matter does not necessarily indicate similar results can be obtained for other clients.

In an effort to continue serving the community while keeping everyone healthy and safe, our office is offering phone and video consultations. To schedule or learn more call (843) 884-6615 or fill out a contact form here.