Charleston child injury attorneys report that a Summerville man suspected of child assault has turned himself in to the police. The suspect is accused of sexually assaulting a 9-year-old girl over an extended period of time. The accused, a 40 year-old man, was charged for the alleged sexual assault to a minor on March 6 and was supposed to turn himself in, but he did not.
When he turned himself in he had multiple charges awaiting his arrival. He has been charged with two counts of first-degree criminal sexual conduct with a minor and committing a lewd act upon a child under the age of 16 years old, Summerville Police Captain Jon Rogers told journalists.
The charges against the suspect were filed after the young girl told a classmate about the suspect’s inappropriate touching. The classmate told her parents who then emailed the school’s guidance counselor. The guidance counselor immediately had the student come in for a counseling session, where the counselor got the child to admit to the alleged sexual assault.
The 9-year-old girl told the counselor the abuse took place when she was left alone with the suspect and had been occurring from August 2009 until late February 2010. After the counseling session with the young girl, the counselor contacted the Police. The Police immediately filed charges against the man demanding him to turn himself in. The suspect did not turn himself in until Wednesday, March 17, twelve days after his warrant was issued.
Source: The Post and Courier- “Child assault suspect turns himself in.” March 18, 2010.