You are injured in a workplace accident and decide to file a workers’ comp claim. Maybe you even decide to pursue a personal injury lawsuit. No matter the reason, you have hired an attorney to assist you in what is looking to be a drawn out battle.
What started off on the right foot has gone sour. You no longer have faith in your attorney and are wondering if you can switch. The short answer is ‘yes.’ You are not alone. There are a variety of reasons that people fire their lawyers in favor of another. Typically, the problem starts with a lack of communication.
When you hired your lawyer, you were in contact frequently. Little by little, the calls stopped, your questions went unanswered, and you didn’t hear anything for weeks or months. You quickly found that you are losing touch with your case. If these are the things that are happening to you, it is definitely time to find a new legal representative.
Here are a few other warning signs that it may be time for a change.
- Your lawyer fails to get back to you within 48 hours, assuming you aren’t calling for the thousandth time with a nonsense question.
- You are asked multiple times to provide documents you have already handed over or to fill out forms that you have already submitted.
- Your lawyer continues to ask for extensions from the court but has no valid reason.
- Your lawyer frequently misses deadlines.
- Things that have been promised to you simply haven’t happened.
If any or all of these things are evident in the relationship you have with your current attorney, it’s time to switch. You have every right to fire your attorney and hire another. Remember that it is your livelihood that is on the line, not your attorney’s. You need someone on your side that you can trust.
Call our office if you need assistance with workers’ compensation in Charleston. We will speak to you at no cost and advise you of the options available to you. Call now for assistance or browse our website for more information about our firm.